Yield: 6 servings
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours, 20 minutes
Recipe Courtesy of: Living the Gourmet
Impress your guest with a decadent braised beef simmered in a rich burgundy stew with fresh herbs, small onions, and butter roasted mushrooms. Make it the ultimate experience by pairing it with a glass of Decoy Merlot!
- 3 lbs chuck roast – cubed and pat dry with paper towel
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tbsp – tomato paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 – 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1 lb shallots
- 1 lb mushrooms
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 3 tbsp flour
- Loaf of French Bread
- Green leaf salad
- 2 lbs Potatoes
- Fresh Italian Parsley
- Preheat Oven 325 Degrees F.
- Cube chuck roast and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Heat a large cast iron frying pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place the cubed meat in the pan to get a nice golden color on each side. This should take about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with the wine, scraping up all of the bits from the pan.
- Place the meat in a pot with the wine and deglazed bits along with the beef broth, salt, bay leaves, garlic and black pepper.
- Bake for about 2 ½ to 3 hours.
- While baking, gently and carefully, place each onion on a spoon in simmering for about 20 seconds and remove.
- Gently remove the skin from the onion and slice the tip off and place a small slit at the end.
- Place the onions in a pan with about ½ cup of water and 2 tablespoons of butter and cover. Simmer for about 25 minutes. Remove from the water and set aside.
- Clean and thoroughly dry the mushrooms. Cut the mushrooms in half.
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large cast iron frying pan. When the butter stops bubbling, place the mushrooms in the pan to get a slight golden color and remove. Set aside.
- Remove the pot from the oven and drain using a colander into another pot.
- Make a paste with 3 tablespoons. of flour and 2 tablespoons of softened butter. Whisk the paste into the drained broth then put over a gentle heat and bring to a boil for a second or two.
- Put the onions, mushrooms and meat into the thickened broth. Simmer for another 2 – 3 minutes.
Serve with boiled potatoes and parsley, a green leaf salad and French bread for a full meal!
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendation - Merlot
Out Of Stock