Blackened Fish Tacos with Roasted Corn Salsa and Pickled Radishes
Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1.5 lbs rockfish, halibut, cod or other firm white fish - cut into 3-4 pieces
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 2 cups fresh corn cut from the cob
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 cups finely shredded green cabbage
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1-2 Tbsps lime juice
- Olive oil
- 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
- salsa or other hot sauce for serving
- 1 bunch radishes - cleaned, trimmed and quartered or sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- Place radishes in a quart size jar.
- In a small pot, bring the vinegar, water, salt and sugar to a simmer. Simmer until salt is dissolved, then remove from heat and pour over the radishes. Place the lid on the jar and let cool 15 minutes.
- Place in the refrigerator until you are ready to use. These are best if made several hours or up to a day ahead, and will keep up to a month in the refrigerator.
- Char the poblano pepper over a flame, in a hot pan or under the broiler. Once the skin is charred, place in bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 15 minutes. Peel, seed and chop the pepper.
- Cut the corn of the cob.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium high, add oil. Once hot, add the corn and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, poblano, salt and pepper and cook a few more minutes. Place in cooked corn mixture in a bowl to let cool.
- Add cilantro, lime juice, scallions and a drizzle of olive oil. Taste and adjust as need-ed. Set aside while preparing fish.
- Place all ingredients in a small jar and shake. You can also buy blackened seasoning in the spice section of some supermarkets.
- Lightly salt fish and then sprinkle the seasoning on both sides, place on a plate. Store remaining seasoning in a jar for another use.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil. Once hot, gently place the fish in the pan, sear well and cook 4-5 minutes per side depending on how thick the fish is. Cook until done.
- Place fish on a platter and serve with corn salsa, pickled radishes, limes wedges.
- Heat tortillas over a hot flame or in a pan until warm and a bit charred on each side.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.