Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 20 minutes | Cook: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
This dish is made with Marsala wine, a fortified wine from Southern Italy. You can serve the chicken with buttered noodles, rice or mashed potatoes. The recipe is fairly easy, but is sure to impress.
- 3 chicken breasts, cut in half length wise
- 2/3 cup marsala dry wine
- 10-12 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage or thyme
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2-3 Tbsps butter
- 3-4 Tbsps cream
- olive oil
- ⅓ cup flour
- Place the cut chicken halves between two pieces of plastic wrap, parchment or in a plastic bag, and with a mallet or rolling pin, pound to ½ inch thick. Set aside on a plate.
- In a small bowl, combine Dijon mustard, 1 garlic clove and 2 Tbsps olive oil. Salt and pepper the chicken, then spoon the mustard mixture over each piece, turning to coat each sides. Set aside to marinate while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 Tbsp butter and olive oil. When the butter is sizzling, add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, and cook for 6 minutes or so, until mushrooms have released their juices. Then add the remaining garlic and sage and cook a few more minutes. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe or rinse out the pan. Place the flour in a shallow dish and add a few grinds of pepper. Lightly dredge each chicken breast, shake off excess flour.
- Heat skillet over medium. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil and butter. Once hot add half the chicken and cook until brown on each side 3-5 minutes (the chicken will finish cooking in the sauce). Return to plate and continue with remaining chicken. When finished place with other chicken.
- Add half of the Marsala to the hot skillet and scrape the bits from the bottom. Cook a few minutes then add the remaining marsala, stock, chicken and mushrooms and continue to cook about 5 minutes to blend flavors. Remove the chicken to a serving platter, then add the cream and stir.
- Serve over warm noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.