Korean Short Ribs
Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 1 hour | Cook: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 3 lbs Korean style short ribs (also called Hawaiian cut)
- ½ cup prepared kimchi
- 2/3 cup gochujang - Korean chili paste
- 2 Tbsps fish sauce
- 2 Tbsps soy sauce
- 2 Tbsps honey or maple syrup
- 3 Tbsps toasted sesame oil
- ⅓ cup white wine
- 2 Tbsps fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsps lime juice
- 1 ½ cups Napa cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 carrot , finely shredded
- 2 Persian cucumbers, sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small watermelon radish, shredded
- 4-5 cups steamed rice
- sesame seeds to garnish
- 1 cup cilantro sprigs to garnish
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl, mix the chili paste, fish sauce, honey, sesame oil, wine, ginger, garlic and lime juice.
- Rinse the short ribs quickly under cold water to remove any bone dust and dry with a paper towel.
- Place the short ribs in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, and cover with marinade. With tongs turn and rotate to thoroughly coat each rib. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Marinate for as long as you can - even overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- In a medium bowl, toss together cabbage, carrot, cucumber, scallions, radish and some cilantro leaves. Toss with a bit of olive oil, a squeeze of lime juice and a pinch of salt, then set aside.
- Remove short ribs from the marinade and place on a plate. Pour the marinade in a small saucepan over medium heat and reduce to a sauce like consistency - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour into a small serving bowl.
- Heat a grill pan, heavy skillet or a grill over medium high heat. Brush grill or pan with a bit of oil and cook the short ribs 3-5 minutes per side, or until done to your liking.
- Continue to cook all the ribs - placing the cooked ones on a serving platter tented with foil to keep warm.
- To serve, place a serving of rice in a bowl with a short rib or two, top that with a handful of cabbage slaw and drizzle with some sauce. Then garnish with some sesame seeds, cilantro, a lime wedge and a spoon of kimchi.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendation - Cabernet
Out Of Stock