Crispy Tater Tot Waffle
Yield: 4-6 as appetizer or two 8 inch waffles
Prep: 2 hours* | Cook: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 40 minutes
*First prep the pickled red onions
Crispy on the outside and tender in the inside, tater tot waffles topped with smoked salmon and creme' fraiche is a breakfast favorite. Make it an even better experience by pairing with a bottle of Decoy Pinot Noir.
- 1 package Tater Tots - 28 ounces - defrosted
- 6-8 ounces smoked salmon slices
- ½ cup creme’ fraiche
- ½ cup capers - drained
- ½ cup pickled red onion
- ¼ cup fresh dill - rough chop
- 1 small red onion - thinly sliced
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsps sea salt
- 1 cup warm water
- Heat waffle iron (preferably 6-8 inch round but any shape is ok), when hot lightly brush with olive oil and spread tater tots on surface, about 2 cups.
- Make sure to cover surface completely, filling holes and pressing tater tots together so you don’t see any holes. This makes for a more compact waffle. Continue to cook on high until desired crispness. Can take 5-7 minutes.
- While waffle is cooking prepare other ingredients. In small saute’ pan with a drizzle of olive cook capers until crispy. Set aside in bowl.
- Carefully transfer crispy waffle to serving plate and repeat with remaining tater tots.
- Garnish waffle with several slices of smoked salmon, 2 dollops of creme’ fraiche, sprinkle with capers, red onion and fresh dill. Serve immediately.
- Place onion in a jar.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl until sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour over onions and let sit for 30 minutes on counter.
- Then place in refrigerator until ready to use. Best used cold, so allow 1-2 hours to make ahead.
SEE OTHER BRUNCH RECIPES