Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
Fun for any date night, this mushroom flatbread is quick and delicious!
- 6-8 oz pizza dough - bring to room temperature 1-2 hours before making pizza. This makes it much easier to make a thin, flatbread style crust
- 6 oz thinly sliced mushrooms - shiitake, cremini and oyster work great, but any combination will be delicious
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsps fresh sage leaves, torn or chopped
- ½ cup grated fontina cheese
- 2 Tbsps grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- cornmeal and flour
- Optional extra toppings - drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar, or truffle oil or salt and fried sage leaves and pepper flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. If you’re using a pizza stone, it’s a good idea to place the pizza stone in the oven as it preheats, to help make a nice, crispy crust. It’s best to preheat oven for at least one hour before baking pizza, especially if using the stone.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Once hot, add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes then add garlic, sage, a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Sautee for a few more minutes until the mushrooms begin to release their juices – about 5-7 minutes total. Remove from heat and place in bowl. Prepare any other ingredients and toppings.
- On a lightly floured surface, stretch or roll the dough until it is thin. It should be roughly 12 in by 8 in. If you are using a pizza stone, transfer the dough to a floured or cornmeal layered pizza peel, or you can prepare the pizza on parchment and transfer to the hot stone that way.
- If you are using a pizza pan, sprinkle with cornmeal. Then, working rather quickly, brush the dough lightly with olive oil, layer the fontina and mushrooms, then sprinkle with parmesan and sage.
- Slide the dough onto the stone in oven for 8-12 minutes. (to insure the pizza will slide off the peel, shake it a few times and make sure it is moving on the peal) Turn if needed for even browning.
- Remove to a pizza pan or board, slice, and serve.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.