Pulled Pork Sliders
Yield: 4 servings
Prep: 30 minutes | Cook: 2 hours and 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
There are several ways to make these delicious sweet and tangy sliders, depending on how much time you have! You can cook the meat in a dutch oven on the stove top or in the oven, or you can use your Instant Pot or a slow cooker.
- 3 lbs pork butt, cut into 3-4 pieces
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 8-10 Slider buns
- Optional - 1 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce to serve with sliders
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper. Heat dutch oven on stove top.
- Add a drizzle of olive oil, and sear the meat well on all sides. Add onion, garlic and spices.
- Cook a few minutes, then add vinegar, water, molasses and syrup.
- Place in the oven for 2 ½ hours or so until the meat pulls apart easily. Turn pork 1-2 times during cooking. While the meat is cooking make and refrigerate the slaw.
- Remove the meat from the sauce and set aside in a large bowl to briefly cool.
- Using a ladle, remove as much fat as you like from the sauce. Place sauce on medium heat to reduce it. Taste and adjust if needed.
- Take two forks and shred the meat into small pieces. Add as much of the reduced braising liquid as you like. If you prefer a more saucy version of a slider, add ½ cup or more of your favorite barbecue sauce.
- To serve toast buns, put a spoonful of pork on the bun. Top with the slaw and pickled onions.
- 6 cups finely shredded cabbage (we like to do a mix of purple and green)
- 1 small carrot, finely shredded
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 Tbsp lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, carrot, scallions and cilantro. Toss together. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, lime juice, salt and pepper.
Quick Pickled Onions
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup vinegar (apple cider, red wine or other)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp salt
In a small pan, bring vinegar to a boil. Add salt and sugar stirring to dissolve. Place onions in a small jar and pour hot liquid over. Let sit on counter for 10 minutes then refrigerate until ready to use.
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.
Pairing Recommendation - Zinfandel