Vietnamese Shaking Beef
Yield: 2 servings as an Entreés
Marinate Time: 1 hour | Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 8 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours and 18 minutes
Creator: Takes Two Eggs
- 1 lb rib eye, tenderloin or filet mignon, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp soy sauce, maggi seasoning
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 ½ tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 4-5 shallots, about 1/2 cup thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cups watercress or baby greens
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Marinate the beef. In a mixing bowl, mix together the garlic, pepper, soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, sugar and sesame oil until combined. Add the cubed beef and toss to combine. Cover and marinate for 1 hour.
- Make a glaze with the marinade. Drain the marinade from the beef and mix in 1 teaspoon of cornstarch. Set aside.
- Cook the beef. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a wok on high heat and saute ½ the shallots until translucent about 1 minute. Place ½ of the beef cubes mixture on a single layer and sear for 2 minutes. Then, add 1/2 the scallions and toss the beef to sear the other sides for another 1-2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of butter, toss the beef to coat with butter for about 30 seconds. The beef should be seared on all sides and cooked for under 5 minutes. Remove from heat and repeat with the remaining beef.
- Arrange the salad. Wash and dry the watercress, trim off the dead ends, slice the red onion and add the cherry tomatoes.
- Make dipping sauce. In a small dipping bowl, mix together the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Serve. Serve the shaking beef on a bed of watercress, red onion and cherry tomato salad. Enjoy with white rice!
Take a look at our recommended pairing below.