Butternut Squash and Kale Strata
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep: 15 minutes | Cook: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 15 minutes
- 1 small butternut squash - peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch squares
- 2 medium red onions - sliced
- 1 bunch kale - ribs removed and leaves chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 tablespoon thyme - chopped
- ½ baguette or other bread - cut into cubes (about 5 cups)
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup half and half or milk
- 10 large eggs
- freshly ground nutmeg
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
Preheat the oven to 425°F
- On a parchment lined baking sheet - toss butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake until tender and caramelized about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While squash is cooking prepare all other ingredients. Sauté onions in olive oil until caramelized - when almost finished add garlic, thyme and kale and saute’ just until kale is wilted. Set aside in bowl.
- Slice bread into cubes.
- In a large bowl beat eggs with half and half, salt/pepper and freshly ground nutmeg.
- Butter baking dish and then begin to layer ingredients - 1/2 of the butternut squash, kale and bread cubes followed by a sparkling of the cheese - then another layer of each.
- Pour egg mixture over the top and press down to make sure all the bread is covered with egg, sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.
- Let sit for 30 minutes to one hour or cover and refrigerate overnight for an easy brunch dish the next morning.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 40-50 minutes until egg is set and cooked through.
SEE OTHER BRUNCH RECIPES